1.22.2013

chicken soup for the cold


The husband and I have been smitten with just a touch of a bug, so I'm dragging out my arsenal of our best tried and true remedies. And while I can't claim they ward off every viral invasion, I'm convinced that we've managed to avoid the plague more than most and, if we can't hold it off completely, we seem to get back up on our feet again faster than we did before we started this regimen. 

I bought an organic rotisserie chicken the other day so I had what I needed to make a delicious and healing chicken soup. Store bought broth is okay but the homemade variety is infinitely better for you and quite simple to make, actually. According to the nutrition experts at The Weston A. Price Foundation"Science validates what our grandmothers knew. Rich homemade chicken broths help cure colds. Stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain."

Recipes vary, depending on where you find them but the key element is the time required for cooking. Most say 1-2 days. Don't be scared. Once you throw the ingredients in the pot, it totally takes care of itself and it makes your house smell amazing! I cook mine on the stove top but I may try to do it in the slow cooker next time around, as was done here. Once your broth is finished, then you can sip on it as is or make it into the chicken soup of your choice. Often, I will use some and freeze some for later. Today, I added back the cooked meat from the chicken, broccoli and lots of mushrooms (including shitake) because I like them and because of their awesome healing properties. Oh, and this time I threw a healthy amount of fresh rosemary into the broth as it was cooking and boy, was it good! 



We also load up on supplements the minute we suspect the crud is creeping up or even if we've spent time in close quarters with someone who is sick. The key here is early and often. Zicam and Airborne are good to keep on hand but even before those came into being, we discovered Wellness Formula by Source Naturals and I still swear by these ginormous horse pills that totally wreak of garlic. I often take 10-12 of them in a single day at the first sign of a scratchy throat and most of the time it sends my sickness running straight for the nearest, more welcoming host. (So long, suckers!!) And, as I said earlier, even if it doesn't knock it out, it shortens the duration.

Okay, so can I blow your mind now? Did you know that the majority of your immune system is actually located in your GUT? Yep, it's true. So what does that mean? It means that you need to keep your innards functioning well all the time to help you ward off the demons. A healthy diet includes a healthy dose of probiotics, so naturally fermented foods should be part of your normal diet. And you should step it up if you're feeling a bit puny. I challenge you to check out some new and different foods, but if you can't bring yourself to that, then by all means find a good supplement. 

Last but not least, give yourself permission to SLOW IT DOWN. A day or two of rest when you first feel the ick may save you a week or more of downtime later on if you try to soldier through. I realize not everyone has the luxury to make this decision but anything you can do to replace the rush with some rest is better than nothing. Sometimes I feel like a baby when I do it but I'm convinced it makes sense.

I've got a good system that works for me but I don't claim to have the market cornered. I'd love to hear what works for you! Do tell.......

 


1 comment:

  1. I've never made my own broth because of the very fact that it always seemed time consuming. I had no idea that you just let it cook for hours and hours. Going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete