9.09.2012

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....


A year ago we unloaded our home of 16 years and loaded most of our earthly possessions into storage. Then we sent ourselves and our cats packing, to live in a rented condo full of someone else's stuff. Lovely stuff but not OUR stuff. 

I've struggled to straddle the line. Living fully in the moment (with contentment) while still pursuing the dream of something different is a graceful dance of discipline. My own timeline for this journey would been much shorter but pesky little details like unemployment and major career changes (yet another pursuit of another dream) have caused us to shift our focus. Only one pot at a time can cook on that big front left burner, right? The other pots must submit and simmer slowly.

Left to our own devices, most of us tend to slide in the direction of discontent and ungratefulness. I know I do, and I've been around long enough to realize I'm not that different from the rest of you. Imagine attempting your yoga practice in the highest most slippery heels on a newly varnished hardwood floor. As much as I love my stilettos, I'm smart enough to know that nothing good can come from a silly decision like that! Only with feet laid bare on the sticky mat foundation of trust can we live firmly and joyfully with whatever has been given to us in this moment, secure in the knowledge that the One who loves us can also be trusted for each moment ever after.

"We take the moments as bread and give thanks and the thanks itself becomes bread. The thanks itself nourishes. Thanks feeds our trust." -Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts.

So I proceed with hands open, holding loosely to my dream with the knowledge that it could come to pass exactly as I imagine. Or not. But it will be exactly as it is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment